It’s National Chocolate Cake Day, and the humans in the Kriser’s families may be headingto their local bakery or kitchen and grab some chocolatey goodness.
But don’t give that to the pets! In fact, chocolate is one of the leading causes of pet-poisoning. Theobromine, a cousin to caffeine, found in chocolate is the culprint, and the darker the chocolate, the richer the dose of this pet toxin. Even a single cookie can cause problems for a small dog, and it can lead to major problems for dogs of all sizes.
According to the AVMA, depending on your pet, if Fido or FiFi has gotten into the chocolate, you will either want to induce vomiting or monitor for shaking, panting, anxiety, seizures, diarrhea, trembling and nervous energy for at least 72 hours. If your pet has gotten into the chocolate chips, cookies or cake, contact your vet immediately