Dogs need lots of exercise to stay healthy, but just like you, there are those crazy hot days when you should just find other activities. Don’t forget, they’re wearing a fur coat! Here’s a quick rundown of what to do on the days when you can’t exercise like normal:
- Adjust your exercise times to early morning or late evening, when the temps drop and the humidity clears out a little.
- Exercise or play outside of the direct sunlight. Shaded areas are great (but just watch for bugs and use a natural flea and tick repellant like Richard’s Organics Flea & Tick Spray).
- Bring along lots of water for your pet if you’re going to be out on a hot day. Grab a Kriser’s collapsible travel water bowl or an H2O4K9 Stainless Steel water bottle perfect for sharing with your pet at your local store.
- Try indoor games for a while – mental stimulation can be almost as tiring, and a mentally tired dog is a tired dog none the less. We like some of the ones by Nina Ottosson that we carry.
- If you have the space for whatever size dog you have, play a game of tug-o-war with a Jax & Bones rope tug toy or the Chuck-It indoor toys.
Enjoy the summer and stop by for more recommendations on what to do with your pet in the heat.