WHEN IT’S TOO HOT TO EXERCISE YOUR DOG
Dogs need lots of exercise to stay healthy, but just like you, there are those crazy hot days when you should just find other activities. Don’t forget, they’re wearing a fur coat! Here’s a quick rundown of what to do on the days when you can’t exercise like normal:
- Adjust your exercise times to early morning or late evening, when the temps drop and the humidity clears out a little.
- Exercise or play outside of the direct sunlight. Shaded areas are great (but just watch for bugs and use a natural flea and tick repellant like Richard’s Organics Flea & Tick Spray).
- Bring along lots of water for your pet if you’re going to be out on a hot day. Grab a Kriser’s collapsible travel water bowl or an H2O4K9 Stainless Steel water bottle perfect for sharing with your pet at your local store.
- Try indoor games for a while – mental stimulation can be almost as tiring, and a mentally tired dog is a tired dog none the less. We like some of the ones by Nina Ottosson that we carry.
- If you have the space for whatever size dog you have, play a game of tug-o-war with a Jax & Bones rope tug toy or the Chuck-It indoor toys.
Enjoy the summer and stop by for more recommendations on what to do with your pet in the heat.