We are getting into the summer season, which means means that fresh fruits are in season. There are many fruits that are safe for our dogs and others we should avoid sharing with them.
Here is a short list of the good and bad…:
- Apples—they are safe for dogs but should not ingest a large amount of the seeds
- Avocados—NOT SAFE. They will cause minor stomach upset, but can be worse in large quantities.
- Bananas—they are safe for dogs
- Blueberries—they are safe for dogs
- Cherries—NOT SAFE FOR DOGS as they can cause cyanide toxicity in large quantities
- Grapes—NOT SAFE FOR DOGS as they can cause kidney failure
- Kiwi—they are safe for dogs
- Lemons—they are safe for dogs (the reaction to the sourness is priceless)
- Oranges—they are safe for dogs
- Peaches—they are safe, but make sure to take out the pit!
- Pineapples—they are safe for dogs
- Raisins—NOT SAFE FOR DOGS as they can cause kidney failure (see grapes!)
- Strawberries—safe for dogs
- Watermelon—safe for dogs, but don’t give them the rind as it can cause intestinal obstruction
Happy Summer everyone!
– Brad Kriser