Animal Shelters play a vital role in rescuing and adopting out millions of pets who have otherwise been abused, lost, forgotten or discarded. National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week honors these shelters and the dedicated people who work and volunteer to protect animals around the US.
Animal shelters not only provide refuge to these homeless animals, they offer services to investigate cruelty, reunite lost pets with families, teach the public about proper animal care, low-cost spay/neuter and microchipping services and more. National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week is a time to bring the public awareness to all they do and to help offer support to these vital services.
Here are a couple ways you can show your appreciation:
- Volunteer your time to help care for the many animals stuck in the shelters
- Help raise funds for ongoing shelter projects
- Adopt your next furry family member from your local shelter
- Donate the food and/or supplies for which shelters are always in need. Check with your local shelter to see what their current needs are and take up a collection from family and friends
- Be a responsible pet owner – microchip, spray/neuter and license your pets. Help reduce overpopulation in shelters.
Be sure to thank the hundreds of workers and volunteers who help to keep our shelters running every day. This week and every week, remember the importance of animal shelters in your community.
Here at Kriser’s we pride ourselves on supporting our local shelters and rescues. Kriser’s Pack Members volunteer their time and services through our program Kriser’s Kares. Kriser’s Kares participants have committed to a minimum of 24 hours to shelters and rescues of their choosing. Kriser’s also regularly donates food and supplies to local area rescues and shelters throughout the year. Check out some of our current shelter events on our events page.