GET TO KNOW THE HUMAN THINGS THAT COULD POISON YOUR PET.
Pets are curious creatures and as their humans, it’s important to be aware of the things we may have around that could harm them. There are surprising, everyday food items and plants that can actually poison your pet. We put together a list of some of the most common toxic foods for pets. There’s also a list of yummy alternatives because there’s so much that they can enjoy!
Pet-Friendly Peanut Butter
Choose an all-natural peanut butter without sugar, xylitol or artificial sweeteners.
Peanut Butter with Sugar or Xylitol
Many types of peanut butter (and other foods) contain xylitol, which can cause insulin release and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in most species, leading to liver failure.
Sugary peanut butters should also be avoided, as sugar can cause stomach upset, diabetes, obesity and other health issues for pets.
Healthy Treats with Fruits & Veggies
Give your pet a healthy dose of fruits and veggies with some tasty treats.
Grapes & Raisins
While healthy for humans, these fruits can cause kidney failure in pets. Veterinarians are starting to suspect this is due to the tartaric acid that naturally occurs in grapes, but more research is needed. It’s best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to dogs and cats.
Crunchy, Nutty Biscuits
They’re just as yummy as nuts but won’t give your pup any tummy troubles.
Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and can last approximately 24 to 48 hours.
While most other nuts, including almonds, pecans and cashews, are ok in small amounts, they do contain high amounts of oils and fats. The fats can cause vomiting, diarrhea and potentially pancreatitis in pets.
Keep them hydrated with a nourishing bone broth.
Caffeine Drinks or Alcohol
Chocolate, coffee and caffeine products all contain substances called methylxanthines. These can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death in pets.
Beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death. Under no circumstances should your pet be given any alcohol.
If you suspect that your pet has ingested alcohol, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately.
Just like us, pets love a dish that’s packed with flavor.
Onions, Garlic & Chives
Kind of surprising, right? These vegetables can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage and anemia in pets. They are usually accidentally fed when pets get a taste of our soups, stews, sauces, casseroles and other dishes that may be seasoned or garnished with them.
Raw Pet Food
Boost their nutrition with balanced, protein-rich raw food made specially for pets.
Our favorite raw brands include:
Raw & Undercooked Meat, Meant for Humans
The meat and eggs you purchase for you and your family at the grocery store are intended to be cooked as they may contain bacteria such as salmonella and E. coli.
Raw egg whites contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which can lead to nutritional deficiencies. Egg whites should be cooked before feeding.
Pet food companies have multiple levels of safety procedures and checks in place to avoid bacteria reaching your home. Pet food has a zero-tolerance policy for pathogens in raw food.
Keep your cat busy with toys that bring out their natural instincts.
Pet-Friendly Dairy Products
Goat milk is gentle on your pet’s stomach and packed with nutrients, while cow milk kefir helps support healthy digestion.
Unfermented Cow Milk
Because pets can’t easily break down lactose, regular cow milk and many dairy-based products can cause an upset stomach. Flavored dairy products may also contain too much sugar for pets to eat safely.
Whenever possible, choose non-toxic products for your home and yard.
Toxic Cleaners & Household Products
Since pets are likely to eat food from the floor and nibble on greenery around the yard, you should always be mindful of the products you use to spray and clean.
Certain cleaners and household products, including bleach and antifreeze, are highly toxic to pets. Make sure to use these products sparingly, if at all. And always store them out of reach from your pet. You can even use child safety locks on cabinets and drawers for extra protection.