Here are a couple of tips for introducing your pet to another new family member – a new baby.
- Before the baby comes home bring a blanket or article of clothing to the dog so they can get the smell. Remember, the nose is where it all starts for your dog.
- If possible, have someone come in first to greet the dog without the baby to help settle him down and help manage the psychological issues. This can help prevent a tense atmosphere when mom is protecting the newborn.
- Make it positive for the dog – don’t forget about them. A few extra treats and toys at this time won’t hurt.
- Have some help nearby to help bring the pet into the baby’s area. While gently guided on a leash, let the pup sniff the baby’s foot. This will allow them to be accustomed.
- Never, never leave you pet unattended with the baby. A newborn’s sudden movement can scare or stress out your furry friend.