A shiny, healthy coat is like a really big window into their overall health! We curated a list of 8 things to know about keeping your pet’s skin and coat healthy and happy – here we go:
1. The skin and coat make up 10-15% of your pet’s body weight, making it their biggest organ!
2. A pet’s skin is actually part of their immune system. It keeps out bad bacteria that can lead to disease. Keeping it healthy is vital to keeping your pet healthy, and a healthy coat is an indicator of a healthy immune system.
3. Dog and cat hair is mostly made up of protein, and up to 35% of a dog’s daily intake of protein goes to helping it maintain its skin and coat. That’s one reason feeding high quality foods that contain animal proteins that the pet can efficiently break down is so important.
4. Dogs and cats don’t have sweat glands, so any water they lose through unhealthy, dried out skin will only cause issues for their metabolism. An oil supplement can help provide much needed moisture to the skin and coat.
5. Grain sensitivity can actually show up as irritation or hot spots on the skin. We can’t tell you how often we hear from customers that their pets’ hot spots and itches cleared up with the switch to grain free! It’s amazing.
6. Dogs are susceptible to external allergies just like humans. Wiping them down with grooming wipes, like those from Earthbath, True Blue and PL360, can help to prevent allergens.
7. Coconut oil is a wonder product for skin and coat health (at least in our opinion). Applied topically, it has anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe and heal cracked skin. Used as a food supplement along with an omega-3 rich supplement like fish oils, it can help from the inside out, helping to deliver much needed Omegas to the skin.
8. Regular brushing can help improve circulation to the skin and release natural oils, making your pet look beautifully healthy and shiny. Ask your groomer or a Pack Member for the right brush for your pets.